October 25USG Meeting

The largest topic in this week’s USG Meeting was a discussion surrounding MTU’s Committee for Accessible and Affordable Learning Materials (CAALM). The purpose of the discussion was to gather feedback and answer questions regarding CAALM. Present at the meeting were two CAALM members: Lindsey Wells, representing the university senate, and Rachel Hathcoat, representing the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. 

According to CAALM, many new students feel lost trying to get access to textbooks and other required materials. While Inclusive Access is a simple way to access these materials, CAALM has received criticism regarding the platform. Students have reported that the prices for access are often inconsistent, and the various formats of different e-books can be confusing to navigate. Additionally, while many professors integrate Inclusive Access materials into Canvas, there are also many professors who don’t know how. 

The feedback provided at the meeting centered around three solutions. First, holding CAALM office hours. This would involve an experienced student being present in the library or MUB to answer questions regarding Inclusive Access and course material access in general. Secondly, having a section of orientation week dedicated to teaching incoming students about Inclusive Access was also suggested. While many orientation team leaders try to inform their teams about finding textbooks, the overall information is spotty at best. For example, Cole Pierucki, a member of USG and an Orientation Team Lead (OTL), said “Throughout the process, we try to tell students they can opt out [of Inclusive Access], but not every OTL does that, so some first years don’t realize you can opt out.” 

The third solution suggested was to expand online resources. Some classes and professors include information on Canvas, but students can’t rely on it for every course. According to the members of CAALM present, the committee has discussed expanding online options in the past, but there has never been action taken. However, with the latest round of feedback, CAALM intends to reintroduce the topic into their discussions.