Support Pack Weekend approaches

The many trees of the Keweenaw are beginning to turn red, orange, and yellow which means one thing: fall is quickly approaching. The Upper Peninsula sports a beautiful fall and there is no better way to celebrate it than with the people that support you. Michigan Tech has organized Support Pack Weekend (formerly known as Family Weekend) to encourage students to get outside and enjoy the breathtaking sights that the Keweenaw has to offer. Organized by the Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success, Support Pack Weekend is set to take place Friday, Sep. 29 and Saturday, Sep. 30. 

Support Pack Weekend is planned to bring in parents, families, friends, and significant others to visit their students with various activities to partake in. From homecoming activities to cheering on huskies at athletic events to exploring the natural wonders of the Keweenaw, the weekend will be bustling with activity. 

Anna McClatchy, Ed.D, director of the Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success, noted, “It’s good to have an organized event where those people who are supporting you are able to come back on campus, see how you’re doing, and see what’s going on on the campus when things are in full swing.” McClatchy also welcomes those participating to check in at the Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success office, “For those who did register for Support Pack Weekend, we are giving away tote bags to all of them, so they can come pick that up and then meet some of our staff, which is always good so they can see who’s there to support their student.” 

Huskies and their support pack are encouraged to explore and enjoy the fall before the first snow. “Go to the football game, eat somewhere in town, maybe do a hike if the weather’s good. Just take advantage of the season,” McClatchy says. When asked a follow-up question about what her favorite local fall activity was, she answered hiking above the Mont Ripley ski hill or hiking Bare Bluff to see the fall colors. “I think the colors here are just so vibrant that they’re really exciting to see.” 

More information, including a schedule of events and places to explore, can be found on the Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success website https://www.mtu.edu/success/ .