Sports report

On Jan. 20 the Michigan Tech men’s basketball team lost to Grand Valley State by a score of 80-74. It was a back and forth game that consisted of seven ties and nine lead changes. Michigan Tech and Grand Valley each shot 50.9% but the Lakers were an impressive 10-16 on three-pointers which proved to be the difference in the game. All five starters for the Huskies managed to score at least eight points while Owen White led the way with 21. On Jan. 22, Michigan Tech bounced back to earn a hard-fought 73-61 win over Davenport. The Huskies stifling defense limited the Panthers to a 34.8% shooting percentage and forced 15 Davenport turnovers. Eric Carl and Trent Bell each tallied 18 points while Jalen Carter came off the bench to add eleven of his own. The Huskies now stand at 11-5 with a 7-3 record in GLIAC play.

The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team lost a heartbreaker in overtime to No. 12 Grand Valley State, 74-70. After the first quarter, the game looked like it was going to be a rout as the Lakers were up 25-12, but the Huskies fought back and eventually took the lead early in the fourth quarter. With five seconds to go in regulation, Alex Rondorf hit two crucial free throws for the Huskies, but the Lakers’ Emily Spitzley hit a three-pointer at the buzzer to force overtime. Ellie Mackay scored 25 in the loss while Daisy Ansel came off the bench to tack on eight assists. Jan. 22 was a different story for Michigan Tech as they rolled over Davenport 86-75. The Huskies shot an impressive 54.8% and at one point were up by a staggering 29 points. Ellie Mackay had 21 points and 10 rebounds to earn a double-double while Alex Rondorf scored an additional 20 points. The Huskies are 11-5 with a 6-2 record in the GLIAC.

This past weekend the Michigan Tech Nordic ski teams opened up conference competition at the Itasca CXC Cup in Coleraine, Minn. The women’s team took first place overall. Anabel Needham won Saturday’s 10k skate interval start while Henriette Semb won the 7.5K classic mass start on Sunday. Overall, the Huskies dominated the weekend with eight of the top 15 finishes on Saturday and four of the top ten on Sunday. The men’s team placed second overall. Skylar Patten placed third for Saturday’s 15K skate and finished fourth for Sunday’s 10K classic. 

Michigan Tech hockey was unable to play their second series of the season against Northern Michigan due to COVID-19 concerns within the Wildcats program. As a result, the Huskies and Wildcats will make up their two-game tilt, with Michigan Tech hosting Northern Michigan on Feb. 1 at 6:07 p.m. and Northern Michigan hosting Michigan Tech on Feb. 8 at 6:37 p.m.