This week at USG

This week, USG Secretary Cheyanne Scott reported on the winter break bus; “our first bus is a go,” Scott stated. The winter break bus is currently full, with 15 people on the waiting list. If enough additional people sign up, there is a possibility for a second. Kaitlyn Black, Third Year Representative, noted that while the Thanksgiving bus was in part stressful, it is hopeful that the winter break bus will be more successful. 

Ethan Gerds reported on the Secure MI Vote table, an effort to increase voter awareness and involvement in the state of Michigan and in the student body. “It was really effective,” Gerd said of the table, “we were able to talk with about 130 people.”

Later, Gerds spoke on University Senate proposal 2-22, concerning changes to instructor evaluations. The Senate held an irregular meeting earlier in the day, in order to address the new administrative amendments made to the proposal. “I believe the changes made are for the better,” Gerds said.

Proposal 2-22 would issue a batch of changes to the professor evaluation process, especially in regard to the responses submitted by students. Written student responses would be considered with a weight of 50% as opposed to the current state of consideration, which is that “Student written comments [are] not be used in evaluations affecting personnel decisions.” Among other changes, the proposal would also add that “all teaching evaluation instruments (student, peer/colleague, and self) should be used” when academic units report results to the University Senate.

The USG discussed the possibility of providing funding to some of their members to attend the LeaderShape retreat. USG approved to provide full funding to five different members to attend the event, in a unanimous vote. USG Vice President Sydney Dankert voiced her support for the members, “Have a great time,” Dankert said. 

If you have any questions or concerns for USG please email USG President Zachary Olsen at usg-president@mtu.edu