Winter recreation options available to MTU students

As winter approaches, many Michigan Tech students are looking forward to taking advantage of outdoor recreation opportunities available on and near campus. 

Through the Outdoor Adventure Program (OAP), students and community members can rent cross country skis and snowshoes for use on the Tech Trails. Individuals can bring their own equipment for use, too. Snowshoes can be rented overnight at a cost of $10 for MTU students and $12 for non-students. Nordic ski equipment passes can be purchased at the Central Ticket Office in the SDC. Cost for MTU students is $15 for a season pass and $25 for non-students. Equipment can be checked out at the OAP office near the Tech Trails. A separate pass must also be purchased for trail usage. Day passes for non-students cost $10 and free for MTU students through the Experience Tech Fee. More information can be found on michigantechrecreation.com

Mont Ripley ski trails are not yet open, but individuals can prepare for the season by purchasing passes. For non-students, passes can be purchased online for $410. Michigan Tech students can receive a free season pass through the Experience Tech Fee. These can be reserved online at mtu.edu/mont-ripley. Equipment (skis, snowboards, and boots) and lockers can be rented in-person at Mont Ripley or on their website. 

Mount Bohemia is another option for skiers and snowboarders. Located in Lac La Belle, about 50 minutes north of Houghton, Mount Bohemia offers extreme skiing and snowboarding for experienced athletes. They offer a variety of season passes at different rates. Mount Bohemia also offers lodging, a spa, and other amenities. For more information, visit mtbohemia.com.  

For sledheads, the Keweenaw boasts over 230 miles of snowmobile trails, according to the Keweenaw Convention and Visitors Bureau (keweenaw.info). The opening date of the trails depends on snowfall. These trails connect Houghton and Hancock with Calumet and Copper Harbor. Michigan Tech also offers snowmobile parking permits for $35 for those adventurous students who wish to take an alternative route to campus in the winter months. More information can be found at mtu.edu/transportation/registration.