Tech soccer announces team awards

HOUGHTON, Mich. – The Michigan Tech soccer program and Head Coach Michelle Jacob announced the 2017 team award winners at the team banquet over the weekend. Six Huskies were honored for their efforts on the field and in the classroom during the 2017 season.

The two Most Valuable Player Awards were handed out with freshman Brooke Schauer being selected as the Offensive MVP, while junior Rachel Wall was chosen for Defensive MVP honors. Schauer tied as the leader in goals (2) and was tied for second on the team in total points (5) this past season. Schauer gained valuable playing experience in 2017 and will look to build on that this coming year.

Wall helped anchor one of the top defenses in the conference this season. The Huskies ranked fourth in the GLIAC for goals against average at 1.31 while having 13 matches decided by one goal. Wall started all 17 matches this season and now has 40 career starts for Tech.

Erin Murphy is this year’s Scholastic Achievement Award winner. Murphy is a sophomore defender that owns a 3.84 GPA with a major in Biomedical Engineering. Murphy competed in 11 games for the Huskies and helped anchor a strong defense for Tech.

Anne Fife is the 2017 Harold Meese Sportsmanship Award recipient. Fife, a sophomore defender from De Pere, Wisconsin, started and played in eight games this season for the Huskies before being sidelined with an injury. Fife has competed in 27 games through her first two seasons at Tech.

Kassity Swanson was selected as the Outstanding Newcomer to the team in 2017. Swanson, who hails from Scandia, Minnesota, was a big addition this past year and helped anchor the defensive/midfield position. Swanson played in and started all 17 games during her freshman soccer season.

The Most Improved Player Award went to Andrea Zubke. Zubke, a junior forward/midfielder from New Berlin, Wisconsin, made 16 starts for the Huskies in 2017 and competed in all 17 contests. She was a key player for Tech on both the front and middle lines.