Byrd and Vigil eclipse school record

PLATTEVILLE, Wis. – Michigan Tech sophomore Emily Byrd and junior Emily Vigil both had very strong performances in the 5000 meter run Thursday night at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Invitational for the Huskies track and field team. Each took turns topping the school record and placed in or near the top ten in the finals out of 84 total competitors in the event.

“What a day for those women for Emily Byrd and Emily Vigil,” Head Coach Jake Isaacson said. Emily V. had a tremendous, gutsy race, winning her heat and at that point breaking the school record. She held the record for about 40 minutes before Emily B. ran another incredible race and broke the record again! Both of those women are great examples of what hard work can do for you in this sport. They both set personal bests by over 30 seconds.

“Grant [Brown] ran great through 4k and then hit a bit of trouble in the last half mile, but he’ll rebound and be back in a few weeks with another opportunity to show what he can do. A lot of credit needs to go to Coach Dan Kulas, for keeping the athletes organized and prepared on that trip. He’s a great addition to our staff.”

Vigil competed in heat three and crossed the line with a time of 17:27.81, which at that moment set a new Michigan Tech record in the event, which previously stood at 17:35.11. Vigil’s time eventually landed her in 12th place in the standings and also became a new personal best.

A few minutes later in heat four of the event, Bryd had her chance to compete and vaulted her way to an eventual 10th place finish thanks to a time of 17:19.89. Bryd’s time rewrote the school record book again and was a career best for her as well.

Senior Grant Brown crossed the line in 28th place out of a field of 94 competitors in the 5000 meter run Thursday night. Brown clocked a time of 15:03.05.
The Huskies will compete in a full team meet this weekend at the Benedictine University Relays in Lisle, Illinois beginning on Friday and concluding Saturday.