Weekly soccer roundup

Manchester City were crowned as the Premier League Champions for 2017-18 after they beat the Spurs 3-1 at the New Wembley, and the unthinkable happened when Manchester United slipped to a shocking defeat at Old Trafford at hands of West Brom, who are mathematically relegated to the Championship. It was a memorable weekend for Mohamed Salah, who continued on his brilliant scoring run after Liverpool cruised past a helpless Bournemouth 3-0. Meanwhile, Olivier Giroud proved to Chelsea fans that he was the right pick after he helped Antonio Conte’s side win the game 3-2 after being 2-0 down in the first half. Newcastle and Rafa Benitez set another record as they beat Arsenal 2-1 registering their first win against the Gunners since 2005.

Elsewhere in Germany, Bayern Munich are already crowned champions whereas FC Barcelona are ready to seal the deal with just another victory and lift the La Liga title once again.

Much of the week’s action was focused on the return legs of the Champions League quarterfinals where Liverpool booked their place into the semifinals by beating Manchester City 5-1 on aggregate. FC Bayern also confirmed their place in the semifinals by overcoming a stubborn Sevilla 2-1 on aggregate. The majority of drama involved a tussle between the two Spanish and Italian elites, where AS Roma shocked the world by knocking out FC Barcelona on away goals after tying the two-legged quarterfinal 4-4 while Juventus looked certain to ruin Madrid’s hope for reaching another semifinal, only to lose 4-3 on aggregate in a game which saw Cristiano Ronaldo convert a last-minute penalty in the stoppage time. The game also witnessed some controversies where the English referee Michael Oliver sent off Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon in probably his last match ever in the prestigious competition for harsh protest after awarding the penalty to Real Madrid for a Mehdi Benatia challenge on Lucas Vazquez.