Houghton Fire Department on the lookout for volunteers

This spring commencement marks the graduation of four members of the Houghton Fire Department and the relocation of three members. The roster can contain upwards of 26 members, which means Houghton will be low in numbers. 

The Houghton Fire Department is a completely volunteer firefighting department that is a mix of both local individuals and Michigan Tech students. Students have the unique opportunity to serve in the department and give back to the community they live in. The Houghton Fire Department is always looking for new members with diverse backgrounds. Members should be able to attend a meeting and training once a month, and respond to as many emergency calls as possible. Individuals must have their own means of transportation. 

Volunteer departments require individuals to have at least Fire I and Hazmat certifications within a year of department involvement. Classes run parallel with Michigan Tech’s schedule and take place during the fall in the evening three to four nights a week. Emergency response calls for the fire department include everything from standard fire alarms to live fire calls. 

Students looking to get involved should be ready for an array of different calls and various scenarios. Background in EMT or first responding is favored but not required. Volunteer firefighting is an excellent extracurricular activity for Michigan Tech students looking for a career in first responding or those looking to get involved within the local community. For further information, contact Fire Chief Mike Reynolds using the following link: cityofhoughton.com/fire-department/.