World Report: March 2

An update on Mosul

Mosul, Iraq has been the site of a large military operation as Iraqi forces gradually retake the city from the Islamic State. The city is split into East and West by the River Tigris, with five bridges connecting the two districts. The bridges were severely damaged by retreating IS forces and by U.S. airstrikes, posing a significant delay to Iraqi forces, who will need the bridges to move soldiers and supplies into West Mosul. While repairs have been made on the bridges since Iraqi forces took the East bank of the river several months ago, the first of the bridges is now controlled on the west bank as well, allowing more complete repairs, according to the BBC.

Scandal in the French Elections

France’s highly-conservative National Front party candidate Marine Le Pen may be guilty of large-scale fraud, according to the BBC. Gael Nofri, one of Le Pen’s former aides, stated last week that Le Pen’s campaign team used a non-existent European Parliament contract to avoid declaring campaign spending. While Le Pen’s political immunity has prevented a formal investigation, investigators may have found proof of nearly $5000 paid to Nofri after Nofri had left Le Pen’s campaign. France’s other key conservative candidate, Francois Fillion is also facing fraud charges, leading to the more moderate Emmanuel Macron gaining support in the polls, all of this only weeks before the first round of voting in April.

Suspects in killing of Kim Jong-nam

Kim Jung-nam, older half-brother of Kim Jong-un, was killed in a Malaysian airport two weeks ago, leading to massive speculation on who was responsible. Malaysian police forces have recently released the names of seven suspects, four of whom are employed in various capacities by the government of North Korea, according to the BBC. This could lend credibility to the wide-held belief – originally put forth by the government of South Korea – that the assassination was ordered by Kim Jongun, though Malaysian officials have not endorsed that stance. The North Korean government continues to claim that it was not involved, and that the alleged assassination is really a ruse by Malaysia.