Rifle Range to go lead-free

Incoming first years this fall will not know the range as many do today, since the shooting range at the Student Development Complex will be changed to be completely devoid of lead. This means that no form of lead ammunition can be used on the range, opting instead for the alternative frangible ammunition where the bullet core is made of compressed powdered copper, tungsten, or various alloys.

The main reason behind choosing a lead-free alternative is to fully remove the threat of lead poisoning either when the gun is fired or when the bullet smashes against the backstop, throwing up a small cloud of lead particulates. The SDC administration was unavailable to comment on the current plan to make the switch. However, this plan to move to a lead-free range has caused quite a bit of unease from those who use the range regularly.

Michigan Tech range master of eight years, Jeff Stroud, has voiced concern about the use of frangible ammunition in this future range, stating that “they’re just not that good, a lot of places I’ve gone to had nothing but problems with them.” He stated that this ammunition will be double to even triple what the usual lead core bullets would cost compounded by reliability issues where Stroud cited the range at Lake Superior State reporting a 30 percent failure rate. This new frangible ammunition has also dashed Stroud’s hopes for his beginner’s rifle class eventually getting to learn with .22 long rifles, although normal classes can continue since lead-free pellets are obtainable at the expensive of increasing fees on students. These aren’t even the greatest of his worries as he firmly believes “the biggest effect will be to the clubs and the community that uses the range. I mean, there are a lot of people that come up here to use this range. [The change] will kill it.”

Another worried range patron is the pistol club president Kyle Huyser, who “sees [pistol club’s] membership dropping simply because no lead means frangibles or some other type of ammo, which will make us raise our prices.” The pistol club currently operates by selling ammo to members to be used at the range at the lowest possible price they can; thus the more expensive the new ammunition is, the more they will have to charge their members. This change will also affect the way they train new comers, as Huyser determines that using lead-free .22 ammunition “just isn’t cost effective.”

Several of the pistol club members and safety officers are understanding of where this change is coming from, but disagree with it on the grounds that it will simply be too expensive for them. Going towards alternative ammunition holds certain consequences to Darian Reed as his own personal .22 pistol isn’t be able to fire frangible rounds as the ammunition would cause constant jams and even damage to his gun. The story is also quite similar to what the competitive rifle team would be going through with this range change.

Zach Simpson, the coach of Michigan Tech’s competitive rifle team since 2005, finds the prospect of student organizations changing to lead-free ammunition troubling “as that would be disastrous for the rifle team. None of our competition rifles are compatible with any manufacturer’s lead-free ammunition just based upon the design of the rifle. It would pretty much be the end of us.” His team will be faced with an additional dilemma, as there are no local ranges within an hour of Michigan Tech, ensuring that the team will no longer be able to compete. “There is no way you can maintain a competitive level without competitive level equipment” he stated about the impending lack of proper equipment. Simpson is sure that this range change will undoubtedly end the over 60-year-old competitive rifle team. Readers who would like to contact the competitive rifle team can do so at [www.mtucrt.students.mtu.edu].

One Response

1. Shooting can be a fun hobby and a thrilling recreational experience, but a firearm in the hands of a negligent, disrespectful, or untrained person can be dangerous. Practicing your shooting technique at a firing range is essential to gaining the skills to be proficient with your sidearm, but you will always need to be careful and respectful of others.
    https://www.theparmaarmory.com/ranges/5-lane-gun-range/