World Report Feb. 9

Toyota rises with falling yen

Car maker Toyota saw major setbacks in 2016, including losing top-seller status to Volkswagen, but has found a benefit in for­eign trading, according to reports by the BBC. Toyota is expecting decreased sales in Japan from this time last year but, as the yen is falling in Japan, Toyota can make more money per sale after converting rev­enue back into USD, encouraging them to look into further trade in the East. Possibly for this reason Toyota is pursuing collabo­ration with Suzuki, which would benefit both companies by giving Suzuki access to Toyota’s technology and giving Toyota access to Suzuki’s massive Indian market.

Afghan diplomat dead in Karachi

Mohammad Zaki, a prominent Afghan diplomat was shot and killed in a consul­ate in Karachi, Pakistan. Zaki was allegedly shot by one of his personal bodyguards fol­lowing a dispute of unknown origin. The alleged shooter has been taken into police custody, according to the BBC. While all reports say that the shooting was over a personal dispute Karachi has been the site of several political attacks, as well as sec­tarian and militant violence.

Nigerian President sick in U.K.

Muhammadu Buhari, 74-year-old Ni­gerian President, has been on medical leave in the United Kingdom for the last two weeks, and has requested an extended leave from his parliament, according to the BBC. Buhari has said that his doctors have recommended that he remain in the UK to await the results of tests, although the possible nature of his condition was not released. Buhari has been the subject of much criticism for being away while Nige­ria struggles with terrorist group Boko Ha­ram, as well as economic troubles related to changing oil prices.

French Elections turn Right

French Far-Right presidential candidate Marine Le Pen hopes to capitalize on Pro-Trump sentiment abroad by speak­ing against globalization and promising a chance for France to hold a referendum on membership in the European Union, ac­cording to the BBC. In a recent speech Le Pen argued that global markets were caus­ing the death of rural communities, and created slaves. The National Front Party that Le Pen belongs to has been trying to attract a greater following, as it has yet to win more than a third of the popular vote in a major election.