American Red Cross blood drive

The American Red Cross is hosting a blood drive this week, Feb. 13 and 14 in the MUB Ballroom. Appointments are preferred, but they accept walk-ins while they are open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. if there is availability. Appointments can be made online, by calling 1-800-733-2767, or by using the American Red Cross Blood Donor app available on iOS and Android app stores. 

When going to donate blood, there are few requirements set for eligibility. For most donations, you must be over a certain age and weight, according to the Red Cross website. You must also not have been sick recently, be on certain medications, or have traveled outside of the United States recently. These details and more will be taken when showing up to an appointment, but you can also provide this information beforehand. 

On the Red Cross website, you can fill out a Rapid Pass form documenting your health history. This will help the staff determine if you are eligible to donate blood at that time and speed up your appointment. As for documentation, you will need to bring a few things with you to an appointment. According to Emilie Sander, writer for the MTU Student Scoop, “A blood donor card, driver’s license, or two other forms of identification are required at check-in.” 

Blood drives help provide blood for patients who undergo surgery, or require blood transfusions as part of treating different diseases and health conditions. Currently, the American Red Cross is experiencing an emergency blood shortage, and is seeking more blood donors to supply the blood patients need. According to the American Red Cross website, they are giving out $20 Amazon Gift Cards by email for those who make an appointment during the month of February. 

For more information on eligibility or to make an appointment, visit www.redcrossblood.org,call 1-800-733-2767, or download the Red Cross Blood Donor App.