Michigan Tech basketball sweeps Winter Carnival weekend as men’s and women’s teams secure victories

The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team showcased a dominant performance on Saturday afternoon, securing a decisive 74-52 victory over Wisconsin Parkside at the SDC Gymnasium. This win not only marked an important victory for the Huskies but also completed their series sweep over U-W Parkside and completed the Winter Carnival weekend sweep. 

With their victory over Parkside, the Huskies capped off an eventful weekend, having also secured a win against Purdue Northwest on Thursday. The back-to-back victories have boosted the team’s confidence as they head into the end of the season. Currently holding an 8-14 overall record and 5-8 in the conference, the Huskies are positioning themselves for a strong finish to the season. 

In a post-game interview, redshirt sophomore guard Nate Abel shared his thoughts on the team’s recent success, “Going forward, we are in a great spot. We’ve dealt with a lot of adversity this year with injuries but we keep plugging along. The win was great, as we believe that was the best ball/game plan we’ve executed all year.” 

Abel emphasized the team’s resilience and unity in overcoming the challenges they have faced this season, highlighting their collective effort to understand individual roles and execute game plans effectively. He further mentioned the importance of maintaining focus on controllables such as ball possession and defensive rebounds to continue their success. 

The women’s basketball team mirrored the men’s success, completing their own Winter Carnival weekend sweep with victories over Parkside and Purdue Northwest. With an overall record of 12-9 and 8-5 in the conference, the women’s team is also set for a strong finish to the regular season. 

Looking ahead, both the men’s and women’s teams will return to the SDC Gymnasium this Saturday, Feb. 17 to host rivals Northern Michigan for Alumni Day. The women’s game is scheduled for 1 p.m., followed by the men’s game at 3 p.m. This upcoming matchup presents an opportunity for the Huskies to showcase their talent and continue building momentum as they approach the postseason.