“Backstage Jazz” Performs at the Rozsa

Looking to jazz up your weekend? This Friday, Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m., MTU’s Backstage Jazz performs at the Rozsa. Small ensembles of jazz musicians will be playing short sets, including some original music, for a total of 100 minutes. It is pay-as-you’re-able, $15 being the requested donation amount.

Under Adam Meckler’s guidance, MTU’s jazz program offers multiple benefits to Tech students, serving as both a creative outlet and a relaxing event for our STEM-heavy students. 

Robin Vanden Heuvel, a student frequently involved in these sorts of small jazz ensembles, says that, “Jazz … allows me to let my creativity lead the way in many different forms— from small group combos to larger group performances. Not only do I get to express my creativity, but I have also been introduced to an amazing community of musicians. The jazz program here allows me to grow as a musician and as a person in balance with my other studies at Tech.”

Jazz at MTU offers a lot, and the event this Friday allows visitors to pay as they wish. Jazz, as well as all other Visual Performing Arts at Michigan Tech, perform frequently at the Rozsa and are always welcoming new students into the audience or as members. The MTU Events page provides more information on upcoming jazz & orchestra concerts, musicals, and much more. The MTU Visual and Performing Arts Music and Theatre pages provide key information for enrolling and performing with these groups.