Mount Bohemia: Opening Day and Future Forecasts

On Jan. 17, the Keweenaw Peninsula’s premier ski resort, Mount Bohemia, started its chair lifts for the first riders of the 2024 season. After a week of heavy snowfall, Michigan Tech students, Yoopers, and Mount Bohemia management were excited to kick off the winter season. Even with the amount of snow accumulated on the mountain, management warned the first skiers and snowboarders via Instagram that they were “lacking a deep firm base” and to expect plenty of unmarked obstacles. 

When asked about the conditions this past weekend, Michigan Tech student and avid snowboarder Brendan McRoberts said, “The snow yesterday was pristine, it was pretty much only powder. It felt like boarding on a cloud. It was incredibly busy though, but it was worth it for the amount of untouched trails we were able to hit.” 

As the season progresses, a better base layer will build up from more rider traffic, covering up the exposed rocks and roots. According to the National Weather Service, the Lac La Belle area surrounding the ski resort is expected to receive patchy snow showers this week while temperatures reach the mid-thirties. 

While waiting for another fresh drop of powder, Mount Bohemia visitors can spend time recovering and relaxing in the highly regarded Nordic Spa. Open from noon to 8:00 p.m., the spa offers a variety of amenities including a brand-new Finnish sauna with panoramic seating and views of the slopes. Season pass holders and day ticket purchasers are able to ski from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays and from 9:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays respectively. For more information on ski passes, snow reports, and the Nordic Spa go to www.mtbohemia.com.