Community Gathers for Candlelight Vigil in Memory of Kenny Bragg

On the evening of Jan. 10, the Michigan Tech community gathered around the Husky Statue to honor the memory of Tech student Kenny Bragg. 

Kenny was a fourth-year anthropology major and leader of the Pep Band’s tenor section. He died in a house explosion last month while visiting his grandfather, Richard Pruden, in Whitmore Lake, MI. Kenny’s parents, Don and Hope Bragg, and sister, Beth, also died in the explosion. 

The candlelight vigil, hosted by the Huskies Pep Band, provided a space for grieving and remembrance. Hundreds of candles were lit during the event to honor Kenny. Attendees were also encouraged to share any thoughts or memories of him. 

Students and faculty shared stories highlighting Kenny’s impact on the community. “His enthusiasm, his kindness, his willingness to welcome everybody and anybody to everything,” remarked Professor Carl Blair. 

Friends described Kenny as a person who excelled academically and went out of his way to make others feel valued. “Kenny was an incredible and incredibly intelligent man who, I swear, could pick up when people were feeling down or upset,” said Emily Vincent. 

Kenny’s brother, Stephen, and grandfather, Richard, survived the explosion but suffered severe injuries. They are both currently receiving treatment and are asking for donations to cover medical expenses. To donate to Stephen and Richard, visit 

gofundme.com/f/assist-stephens-recovery and gofundme.com/f/richard-pruden-medical-expenses. Students who need assistance during this time can seek help by contacting the Center for Student Mental Health and Well-being at 906-487-2538 or counseling@mtu.edu