Copper Country Human Society 50th Anniversary

The Copper Country Humane Society (CCHS), founded in 1974, is celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. The CCHS is a non-profit organization that is “dedicated to the welfare and humane treatment of animals,” and operates on a “no time limit” system for non-feral dogs and cats. This means that once the animals are put up for adoption, there is no time limit on which the adoption can take place. The CCHS provides animal services that include adoption, education, and spay/neuter for Keweenaw, Baraga and Houghton Counties as well as the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community. The building itself lies in Houghton County, and is home to roughly 900 animals that come and go throughout the year.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Copper Country Humane Society, the non-profit has organized a dinner and comedy show on Jan. 20 in the Rozsa. There will be a “Little Italy” style buffet prior to the show by “Raise the Woof”, a comedy tour that uses their platform to give a voice to animals. There will also be basket raffles present. Thanks to the generous sponsors of the event, 100% of the nightly proceeds will go to the CCHS and the betterment of their operations. The dinner is 75 minutes long, starting at 6 p.m., with the comedy show starting promptly after. Tickets are $30 for dinner only and $50 for both the dinner and comedy show. Tickets for adults who wish to only attend the “Raise the Woof” show are $20 and MTU students and children are $15. To purchase tickets or learn more, please visit mtu.universitytickets.com.

Community members can also help out the CCHS year-round by volunteering to walk a dog or cuddle with a cat. Dog walkers are welcome to walk without an appointment Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat between 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m, while cat cuddlers need to make an appointment on the CCHS website. Donations are also accepted year round, which can include everything from paper towels to cat litter to durable collars and leashes. For a full list of acceptable donations and to see how you can help the Copper Country Humane Society, visit https://www.cchumanesociety.com/ways-to-help/