Winter Carnival

Michigan Tech’s Winter Carnival is set to begin in less than a month on Feb 7, this year’s theme is “From Forests to Shores We Love the Outdoors.” Winter Carnival, otherwise known as “Carni”, is an event that began in 1922 as a simple one-night ice carnival with a show that consisted of circus-style acts, with students dressed up in animal costumes. Today, it’s a tradition that consists of a four day celebration kicked off by the all-nighter, a time in which those who signed up spend the night (4 p.m. to 9 a.m. the next day) building a snow statue to be judged. Other big traditions include two home hockey games and the Stage Revue, a skit night hosted by the Blue Key National Honor Society where student organizations put on a skit based around the theme of Winter Carnival.

Although the break and subsequent festivities don’t officially begin until 10 p.m. on Feb. 7, students can still expect a variety of events leading up to the all-nighter such as: ice bowling, snow volleyball and soccer, a variety of winter outdoor sports, other heated rival games with Northern Michigan University, and of course Broomball. Over the coming weeks, students will also see work done on the statues being built in the month-long category.

For more information on this year’s Winter Carnival, head to: https://www.mtu.edu/carnival/2024/