Freezing Moon Powwow (Native American History Month)

This Saturday, Nov. 4, sparks the startup of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society’s (AISES) first powwow since the fall of 2018. The event, an indigenous tradition of dance and festivities, is being held at the Gates Tennis Center from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. The dancers are expected to arrive at noon for the grand entry. This cultural experience has two food vendors: Rez Robins, from Baraga, and 7 Wonders Chuck Wagon, from L’anse, to satisfy the hunger of both dancer and onlooker alike. There will also be 10 different craft vendors if participants are looking for a memento from the occasion. This, plus the huge presence of both the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community and honored veterans from different branches of the military are set to appear.

This event will be held by Robert Hazen and Sheila Halverson, both having extensive experience on hosting powwows in the past. Halverson, having worked with powwows in Chassell, comments that, “We want students on campus to experience the culture.” There is a song in particular that Halverson believes lifts your soul, which is the Anishinaabe song. This song, nicknamed, “the heart of the people,” is given this name because, “when you hear it, you will feel it in your heart.” There will be QR codes on powwow etiquette, different dance styles, and the sacred fire protocol as well. 

This event is hosted entirely by AISES, and was given funding by both the CDI and USG alike to pay for both the venue and the food. AISES in years prior was struggling to gain recruitment as they fell on hard times due to COVID and issues regarding help. Originally, the powwow was held in mid-October annually, but both Hazen and Halverson thought that having the powwow during the first week of Native American History Month held more importance. Halverson hopes that these Powwows, “educate the people on the outside. This isn’t a pagan ritual.” 

AISES members include: Keweenaw Bay Indian Community Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Sault Sainte Marie Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, Boise Forte Band of Chippewa, and more. For more information contact Sheila Halverson at smhalver@mtu.edu.