Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist embodies excitement for the future of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula

This past Saturday, Oct. 21, Michigan Tech welcomed Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist to campus. Gilchrist had the opportunity to tour Tech’s H-Stem Engineering and Health Technologies Complex (H-STEM Complex), as well as attend the football game versus Ferris State University.

Michigan Tech welcomed Gilchrist on campus, as the H-STEM Complex is completely funded by a grant from the Michigan Legislature. This complex will empower Michigan Tech’s health-related and human-centered technological innovations by creating a space where students and professors can learn and develop skills in these fields. The Lode was able to secure an exclusive interview with the Lt. Governor, who answered questions with enthusiasm. 

The main point that Gilchrist expressed was the excitement that the Governor’s office holds for the growth of the Upper Peninsula. He mentioned that, “there’s a role for every discipline to play in improving the quality of life so to have dedicated space to help meet those goals here at Tech, I think that the value that will be created is really hard to predict, it is going to be so huge.” 

Gilchrist also put emphasis on the power that the UP already has. He voiced “I want everyone to recognize I see them, and that their future is Michigan’s future, and that people in this community have a role to play in making sure Michigan is as amazing as it can be.” Residents of the Upper Peninsula have welcomed the Lt. Governor on two other multi-day trips this year, which is a reflection of the investment of the Governor’s office in Michigan’s upper half. 

To finish out the interview, Gilchrist ended with the statement, “I am here and will continue to show up here because of how exciting I believe the possibilities are for this community to grow to the next level for the next generation.” The Lt. Governor also mentioned his excitement for the upcoming football game versus Ferris State University.