Michigan Tech fall 2023 Career Fair approaching next week

Michigan Tech is set to hold its bi-annual career fair in-person on Tuesday, Sep. 19, 2023 from 12-5 p.m. at the Student Development Complex (SDC). Career Fair is the perfect opportunity for students of various majors to get professional exposure and to apply and interview for full-time, co-op and internship positions. 

As one of the largest career fairs in the country, Michigan Tech boasts more than 400 companies and 2,000 recruiters in attendance each year. Booths are scattered throughout the multi-purpose and Wood gyms in the SDC, giving students the opportunity to walk around and connect with recruiters from various companies. While searching for a job at Career Fair, students can have conversations with recruiters to gain more information about the company or job position, ask questions, and hand a resume to the recruiter. The days following Career Fair are filled with interviews for select candidates, and can be followed shortly by verbal offers. 

“It is the best opportunity to connect with employers to find a job. Almost half of all of our co-op students find their co-ops at Career Fair,” said Nicolas Kweik from career services when being asked why students should attend Career Fair. Kweik also was quick to add that employers are looking for both engineering and non-engineering majors in saying, “you should come to Career Fair no matter what your major is, because somebody is looking for you there.” 

Before attending Career Fair, make sure to have the Career Fair Plus app downloaded, have companies researched, have several printed resume copies, and dress formally. Some additional advice from Kweik is to “Come to one of the resume reviews on CareerFEST days and get your resume looked at. Come early [to Career Fair], block out as much of your day as you can to do it. Be prepared for interviews the next day.” 

Recruiters will be making the trip to Houghton soon, eager to talk to many huskies. More information can be found on the Career Services website or on Handshake.