100 years ago in The Lode

Compiled by Gabriel Poirier

GLEE CLUB

At a meeting of the M. C. M. Glee Club on Wednesday evening, October 24, Edmund Rasmussen was elected as the new manager. The advisability of the Glee Club’s taking part in the smoker program was also considered but because of the lack of men at the meeting and the lack of time to prepare anything, it was decided to be out of the question. 

Mr Earle has communicated with Mr. Harry-King of Calumet by letter for the purpose of securing him to coach the Glee Club but has met with little success. The smoker of Friday, October 26, proved that talent is not altogether lacking at the college.

It is not in the least doubtful but that if a good leader could be secured, a good Glee Club would be assured.

MINING BUILDING VAULT

Definite requirements have not yet been obtained toward the building of a fire-proof vault for the mining building but it is thought that provisions will be made for one soon.

This vault would probably be a 3-storied structure joining onto the building at the west end of the north side and extending toward the site of the new metallurgy building. The three stories would allow a floor for records, etc.. one for instruments, and one for mining models.

ACTIVE WORK STARTS IN D1 AND D2

Mr. L. R. Harvey is drilling his freshman physical training classes in various corrective exercises and games. He will take up boxing, wrestling and other athletic feats. Before the end of the term he expects to give a smoker in connection with a gymnastic exhibition by the classes.

The second year men will have about the same class of work. They, however, will be given a more advanced course in all these exercises.