Huskies Ask: Laura Bulleit

Huskies Ask is a weekly column where we send questions to different Michigan Tech faculty and staff each week.

This week, we reached out to Laura Bulleit, the new Interim Dean of Students!

1) Where is your hometown and when did you come to Michigan Tech?

I grew up in rural Indiana in the small town of Connersville. I came to Michigan Tech to study geological engineering but ended up changing my major to civil engineering. I graduated in 1989 with my BS degree and loved it so much that I stayed for an MS, also in civil engineering. I’m super proud to be an alum and I think that gives me a good perspective on what our students are going through (yes, I struggled through Diff EQ, too!).

(2) What is your favorite thing about Michigan Tech?

Do I really have to pick a favorite? I love the students, the size, the winters! Most of all I love the down-to-earth, hardworking vibe. I think that’s what makes the community so strong and gives us all a sense of belonging to the Husky family.

(3) What is something you wish students knew about you and the Dean of Students Office?

The number one thing I wish students knew is that it’s not a scary place. We’re your go-to for any questions, issues, problems, etc. If we can’t help you, we know someone or someplace that can. The staff in Student Affairs are here because we are passionate about helping students succeed. When I joined the Dean of Students office in 2013, two things stuck out to me in my job description: be a student advocate and have a sense of humor. Those are things I carry with me daily. I try not to forget why I’m here—to support students—and I also try not to take myself too seriously.

(4) What part about your new role excites you most? 

There are several things that are incredibly exciting to me. I’m looking forward to being able to work with and support students in this new way from a position of leadership within the University. I’m also thrilled to be working with my amazing colleagues. We have a really great, creative, dedicated team who I’m proud to work with.