Michigan Tech Men’s Hockey ends game in shut out

The Huskies defeat LSSU; adding another shut out to their record

The Huskies shutout Lake Superior State University 2-0 on Saturday, Nov. 12 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena after losing in a shootout Friday night. These two games improved the Huskies record this season  to 6-3-2 overall and 2-2-2 in the CCHA.  

Blake Pietila made 20 saves in the shutout game marking his 14th career shutout and 4th to the Lakers.  

David Jankowski led the team to an early lead scoring his first ever goal as a Husky at 4:49 into the game. He was assisted by Arvid Caderoth who fed him the pass and Topi Heiskanen with a dump-in from the point.  

In reference to Friday night’s loss, Jankowski said, “obviously we let that lead go in the third and we weren’t happy with that.” Jankowski continues in reference to Saturday’s game saying, “really big emphasis tonight on getting a lead early.”  

Coach Joe Shawhan said, “Arvid made a really nice play to Jankowski, protected the puck, body shielded it, fake dropped his shoulder and then made a nice feed.”  

The Huskies continuously outshot the Lakers at both games this weekend. Saturday’s game produced 14-7 shots in the second period with another goal shot by Trevor Russel. Russel stepped off the bench and shot a goal within a few seconds. Russel’s goal was assisted by Jack Works who fed Russel the puck from in front of the Zamboni door. Secondary assist was from Alex Nordstrom.  

In reference to his goal, Russel said, “Came straight off the bench, Works was working hard in the corner, and he looked up and I was right there, called for it, and put it in the net.”  

The Lakers were persistent in the third period with 10 shots on goal. Pietila was able to stop every shot, one of which had him diving to catch the puck in a shorthanded 2 on 1.  

Shawhan said, “Lake State is a good team. They’re well-coached and they’re big and strong and have a lot  of skill. I feel fortunate that we were able to come out of the weekend with some success.”  

The Huskies finished the weekend taking 4 of 6 conference points. LSSU now holds a record of 1-7-2 overall and 0-3-1 in the CCHA.  

Michigan Tech goes on the road next weekend to play St. Thomas Nov. 18 and 19 in Minnesota.