University Senate discusses October Recess Proposal

The University Senate discussed Proposal 9-23 during their Nov. 9 meeting, moving the October Recess from Week 7 to Week 8. 

The original senate proposal 50-22 “Proposal to Create an October Recess”, was accepted by campus administration on Oct. 17 following the addition of several amendments. Proposal 9-23 was introduced by the Academic and Instructional Policy Chair, Jeremy Shannon. According to Shannon, Proposal 9-23 aims to change the original date of the recess from Week 7 to Week 8 in order  to better accommodate half semester classes. If passed, this proposal will change the Senate’s current procedures. Voting will be done on Dec. 7th.

The USG was in attendance, offering support for the proposal. President of USG, Cheyenne Scott said “As you all know the students are very large advocates for the introduction of the October Recess…we hope this alleviates some of the stress that some faculty have expressed.” The USG continues their decade long goal of seeing a fall break come to fruition. 

The University Senate clarified an important point posed by the USG. Proposal 9-23 would be one of two proposals that would affect the October Recess. Proposal 7-23 will introduce the October Recess into the 2023-2024 Academic Calendar. Proposal 7-23 will be introduced on Dec. 7th if Proposal 9-23 passes. 

The Dean of Students, Dr. Southerland, commended the Senate for revisiting the issue of the October Recess and for implementing a solution that is viable for the faculty and students. However, some faculty members expressed concerns regarding losing instructional days. 

The Senate discussed other proposals and topics as well. Finance and Institutional Planning Chair, Carl Blair, introduced two resolutions. One resolution increased compensation to Senate Officers and another created a living wage. These resolutions are a direct result of growing inflation and will take effect next year if passed. 

Proposal 6-23 “Proposal to Shelve the Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and Electronic Media Performance” was discussed. This proposal would shelve the courses associated with the SEMP major after current students graduate. The program has had 7 graduates since 2008.