Men’s Hockey: MTU vs. St. Lawrence University

Michigan Technological University won both hockey games in a full sweep this weekend, Oct. 28 and 29, against St. Lawrence University. The Friday game ended 6-0 with the Saturday game ending 3-0. Both games were played on Michigan Tech Campus in the John J. Macinnes Student Ice Arena. 

During Friday’s game, Michigan Tech scored 1 goal in the first period, 2 goals in the second period, and 3 goals in the final period of the game. St. Lawrence had a large challenge to figure out Tech’s playstyle. “A big difference was we had a lot of guys get involved in the scoring. I think a dozen or so got points, we got outstanding goaltending, defense played well, and special teams played well…” Head Coach Shawhan said in an aftergame interview on review of the matchup.

Michigan Tech went on to make 3 of 5 powerplays in this game, with 18 saves. St. Lawrence made a combined total of 31 saves between two goalies, Zetterquist and Boisvert. The crowd was very animated throughout this game with the rare number of goals compared to most other games this season. 

During Saturday’s game, Michigan Tech held strong and scored 1 goal in the second period and 2 goals in the final period. This game was tighter than the previous, but with Tech still dominating the scoreboard. “I thought we had a good 60 minutes, we didn’t give them too many chances, they were shooting from the point alot and getting outside shots so I thought we had a good team game.” Tech player Ryland Mosley said in a postgame interview. In this second game, Michigan Tech’s goalie Pietila acquired 18 saves. St. Lawrence’s goalie Emil Zetterquist would acquire 34 saves, an impressive feat against the relentless shot on goals from Michigan Tech. 

Michigan Tech goes on the road next week to play Bowling Green Nov. 4 and 5 in Ohio.