Fourth annual GeekU.P.

On Sept. 10 Michigan Technological University Students celebrated the fourth annual GeekU.P. event from noon to six in the Memorial Union Ballroom on campus. 

This event brings together many different fandoms across several genres and mediums: comic books, video games, television, and anime. Mini events hosted at the mini-con included cosplay, a gaming tournament, and a silent auction. Food was provided by North Coast Grill.

Several vendors attended the event selling comic books, collectibles, and other memorabilia.

“This was a great opportunity to find someone to buy my old pokemon trading cards… I’ve had

them for a long time and didn’t want to go through the hassle of selling them online.” said event

attendee Seth Hessbrook.

The event hosted two celebrity guests who are both originally from the state of Michigan,

Patricia Summersett and Roger Craig Smith. 

Patricia Summersett is known for voice acting as Princess Zelda in Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, as well as several other video games. She is originally from the Western U.P.. 

Roger Craig Smith, from St. Joseph, Michigan, is also an acclaimed voice actor doing everything from video games to television.

“It’s really amazing to see big names like this here on our small campus… it makes our campus feel bigger.” Event attendee Kole Augustine said in a brief interview during the event.

GeekU.P. was started in 2018 by Shana Porteen and Patricia Summersett as a way to give

back to the community. Each year the event sponsors a different charity that receives proceeds.

The ticket fee this year supports Unite Mental Health & Wellness, a nonprofit rural-focused

mental health service organization.