Sports Report

On Sept. 5, the Huskies football team blew past Wisconsin-Platteville in a comfortable 23-13 victory. After a slow start, Michigan Tech’s Steele Fortress broke a 0-0 deadlock with just 10 seconds left before the half. Fortress’ run set the tone for what was to come in the third quarter as the Huskies turned a close game into a blowout. Michigan Tech’s offense tallied three touchdown passes in the third quarter and the defense added a safety for good measure. Darius Willis efficiently scored two touchdowns on three catches for the Huskies while Marc Sippel recorded a punishing eight tackles and 1.5 sacks. Michigan Tech will look to build on its momentum in Minnesota where they will take on St. Thomas on Sept. 10.

The Huskies women’s volleyball team has gotten off to a blistering start for the 2022 season. Michigan Tech made quick work of the field in the Cal State Monterey Bay Tournament where they beat all four of their opponents without dropping a single set! Jilian Kuizenga was named MVP for the tournament while Lina Espejo-Ramirew and Carissa Beyer joined her on the all-tournament team. The Huskies weren’t quite perfect in the Parkside tournament, but they recovered from a 3-1 loss to McKendree and defeated both Illinois-Springfield and Minnesota Crookston by 3-0 margins. Michigan Tech now stands at 6-1 and is currently ranked No. 19 in the nation. They will play their home opener versus Davenport on Friday.

Michigan Tech women’s soccer started the year 2-2 after splitting a slew of Minnesota schools. The Huskies lost their first contest of the season to Minnesota-Duluth 2-1 but earned a crucial 2-0 road win versus St. Cloud State just two days later. Haley Ruiter and Alyvia Sanom recorded goals in the victory. The Huskies kept up their winning ways with a 1-0 win in their home opener against Minnesota Crookston. This time it was Kiersen Korienek’s turn to score. On Sept. 4 Michigan Tech battled No. 9 Bemidji State but ultimately lost 1-0. Next, the Huskies head to Purdue Northwest for a Friday afternoon conference showdown.

On Sept. 2 the Huskies men’s and women’s cross country teams earned first-place victories at the Vic Godfrey open. Michelle Bollini ran a 14:53 to place third in the women’s race while Sam Kurkowski crossed the line at the 14:55 mark to secure the fourth spot. The men kept the podium to themselves as Sam Lange, Clayton Sayen, and Drew Kolodge led the Huskies to a 1-2-3 finish. The men’s and women’s cross country teams will look to continue their winning ways on Sept. 23 when they head to Minneapolis for the Roy Griak Invitational.