Sports Report

The Michigan Tech men’s hockey season finally came to an end on March 24, as the Huskies lost to the Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs 0-3 in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Michigan Tech took a hit early when their top-scorer, Brian Halonen, got ejected just three minutes into the game. With momentum on their side, the Bulldogs scored at the 14-minute mark to go up 1-0. The Huskies peppered the Bulldogs goalie with shots throughout the game but were unable to break through the defense. A costly giveaway by the Huskies’ defense six minutes into the third period saw Minnesota-Duluth go up 2-0, while the Bulldogs added an empty netter with eight seconds left for good measure. Michigan Tech finished an impressive 21-13-3 this year.

On March 25, Michigan Tech women’s tennis lost a 4-3 squeaker to Ferris State. Ivona Gorgioski won No. 3 singles 6-4, 6-4 while Neva Manas dominated the No. 5 singles match 6-3, 6-0. Marina Fernandez earned the win in No. 6 singles 6-4, 7-6 and combined with Gorgioski to secure a 6-3 victory in No. 3 doubles. However, Ferris State comfortably won the No. 1 and No. 2 matches in both singles and doubles, which was the difference in the contest. The same day, Michigan Tech men’s tennis fell to Ferris State, 6-1. Andrew Freel won a back and forth No. 5 singles match for the Huskies. Freel dropped the first set 7-6 but edged out Ayush Deswal of Ferris State 7-6 in the second set and 12-10 in the tiebreaker. 

On March 19, the Michigan Tech men’s track and field team began their season with a bang, as they obtained a first-place finish in the Meet for Milwaukee. The men won all but four events on the day for a dominant performance. Ryan Schwiderson won both the men’s 100-meter dash and 200-meter dash, Luke Moore was the top runner in the 5,000-meter run while Noah Koball took first in the shot put and Tony Bonner first in the javelin throw. The women’s track and field team also secured first place on the day. As a whole, the team excelled in long-distance and throwing events, where they won a majority of their competitions. Michelle Bollini posted a time of 17:57 in the 5,000 meters, setting a new facility record and personal best, while Katherine Jarvis placed first in both the discus throw and shot put.