COVID-19 Town Hall addresses mental health and well-being

The ongoing COVID-19 Town Hall series held its 25th session on Feb. 24. It focused on how community members can care for their physical and mental health during COVID-19 and the health regulations.

The Town Hall series is presented by UP Health System – Portage and organized by Michigan Tech’s Health Research Institute. Panelists consisted of a mix of faculty and grad students addressing how the pandemic has affected socializing and overall health conditions.

Crystal McLeod, MA, LLP, Interim Director of the Center for Student Mental Health and Well-being, spoke up on the anxiety socializing may bring for some as restrictions are lifted. She stated how, “…one of [the ways to improve your comfort is] to go at your own pace. You certainly don’t need to say yes to everything right away….” She also recommended constructing a hierarchy of situations and to “start with those situations that may provoke some anxiety,” to help overcome that initial fear, instead of those that cause intense panic and discomfort 

Each session occurs on the last Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. EST, airing on the Zoom Webinar, UP Covid-19 Community Town Hall Facebook page, and on 97.7 The Wolf (WOLV-FM) and 107.7 Q107 (WMQT-FM). Additionally, the sessions are broadcasted on ABC 10 the following Sunday at 12:00 p.m. EST. 

Questions can be emailed ahead of time at townhall2020@mtu.edu