The popularity of healthy choices

Healthy diet choices have been growing in popularity. Many people are watching their diet in some way or another. While it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly why people are choosing to shift from microwave meals, McDonald’s and processed foods to fresh produce and healthy diets, we can observe some factors that may be contributing. People eating healthier is better. In America, if we overall become more health aware, we could eliminate our high obesity rates and even see some other medical issues clear up.

For starters, there are fad diets that circulate on websites such as Pinterest that inspire people to try to eat better. These diets gain popularity very quickly and often are tried out by hundreds of thousands of people. Some of these diets are actually supported by physicians, whereas others are just fads that die off after a few months. One diet that many people try and has managed to stick around is the Paleolithic diet. This diet consists of eating fresh foods that were available to our ancestors during the Paleolithic era such as fresh produce, berries and meat. It’s also sometimes called the caveman diet.

Loren Cordain, PhD, professor of health and exercise science at Colorado State University and author of “The Paleo Diet” says, “By following these nutritional guidelines, we put our diet more in line with the evolutionary pressures that shaped our current genetics, which in turn positively influences health and well-being”. This diet is also known to improve glycemic levels. Other diets are nearly as long lasting or researched.

One diet that took the internet by storm is the 21 Day Fix. This gained popularity on the site beachbody.com. It also circulated on Pinterest. There is speculation that this diet is not super effective but rather is in place to get people to spend money on the official containers and products required for the diet. The diet does require the participant to use very specific measurements that are only officially available from beach body. The point of this diet is to lose approximately 15 pounds in just 21 days. Losing weight that quickly can be super dangerous and often is not a permanent weight loss solution.

Beyond the diet trends that many people try, the change to healthier choices could be linked to the fashion industry. Models in magazines, movies and on the runway set standards for what the appropriate size and appearance is. This is causing people to work towards a figure like those depicted. The average women are between a size 14 and 16, yet many women still try to achieve size 6 or smaller. Dieting is one way to lose weight to obtain this “ideal” size. And so, there’s a shift to healthier diet choices.

Regardless of what’s leading to healthier choices, these choices are happening. It’s possible that diet fads and trends are linked to the popularity of healthy, less processed foods.

However, it could also be linked to the fashion industry. More than likely a combination of numerous factors, including those not explored above, have led to more health conscious decisions. Being a healthier nation would help resolve our obesity problem as well as lower our risk of obesity related diseases, even if it comes from our choices to follow fad diets and strive to look like models. Just remember to be safe and consult doctors before attempting any serious weight loss.

One Response

1. Eating Healthy is a priority for me but sometimes I get it all wrong. It could be with the snacks or in between chops or even the combination in my meals. I have gone through this article, have spotted my wrongs and will adhere to it. Thank you and keep this up. You can also check some of my Healthy Meals.