Sports report

On Feb. 11 Michigan Tech hockey flew past the Bowling Green State Falcons with an overwhelming 4-0 win. Logan Pietila, Brian Halonen, and Trenton Bliss all scored goals for the Huskies in the first period to give the Huskies a comfortable lead for the rest of the game. Colin Swoyer added a fourth goal in the third period for good measure, while Bliss and Brian Halonen each earned their 100th career point. To ensure that he wouldn’t be left out of a night of milestones, Blake Pietila secured his 10th shutout of the season to tie the school record. Feb. 12 wasn’t quite as memorable for Michigan Tech, as they lost 4-2 to the Falcons. The Huskies got off to another quick start with goals by Eric Gotz and Matthew Quercia but were unable to break through in the second or third period. Pietila was named CCHA Goaltender of the Week. After this week the Huskies remain at No. 14 in the USCHO.com poll with an 18-9-2 record.

Michigan Tech men’s basketball won their sixth straight game on Jan. 10 when they defeated Davenport by a score of 84-72. The Huskies shot a sharp 52.4% from the field and had a whopping 27 assists. Adam Hobson scored 28 points for Michigan Tech while Trent Bell had put up 24 points in addition to his 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 2 steals. The Huskies extended their win streak to seven after Saturday’s 75-67 revenge victory over Grand Valley State. Four Huskies hung double figures in the win with Owen White’s 20 points leading the way. It was another big game for Bell who had his second straight double-double. Bell earned GLIAC North Division Player of the Week as Michigan Tech improved to 17-5 with a 13-3 record in conference play.

On Jan. 10 Michigan Tech women’s basketball dominated Davenport with a 71-51 beatdown. The Huskies held the Panthers to a putrid 27.6% shooting percentage and just two fastbreak points. Ellie Mackay had her typical 25 point performance while Sarah Dax had nine rebounds and a block. Saturday proved to be much tougher for the Huskies as they fell to the No. 5 Grand Valley State Lakers, 61-45. The Huskies had a three-point lead at the half but were unable to overcome a rough final two quarters. Alex Rondorf tallied 11 points in the loss. The Huskies are now 13-9 overall with an 8-6 record in conference play.

Over the weekend the Michigan Tech men’s and women’s Nordic ski teams combined for the CCSA conference title with the women placing first and the men placing second by just a point. Skylar Patten and Colin Freed placed second and third respectively as the men won Saturday’s 20K mass start. For Sunday’s 10K classic, Patten earned another second-place finish while Henry Snider placed eighth. Anabel Needham earned second place for the women for Saturday’s 15K mass start skate as five Huskies placed in the top eleven. Sunday’s individual 5K classic was one to remember as the Huskies took first to claim the CCSA title. Nea Kataja won the classic while Henriette Semb and Needham placed in the top four. The Huskies will look to continue their winning ways at the NCAA Central Regional Championship.