Sports report

Over the weekend the men’s hockey team survived two thrillers against Ferris State. On Feb. 18, the Huskies survived a late surge from the Bulldogs as Michael Karow scored in overtime for Michigan Tech to secure the 3-2 victory. Feb. 19 was a great day for offense as each team scored five goals. Michigan faced a multi-goal deficit after two periods, but Trenton Bliss, Brian Halonen, and Alec Broetzman scored in the third to send the game to overtime. Logan Pietila won it for the Huskies in the shootout while Mark Sinclair came up with three crucial saves. Michigan Tech improved to 19-9-3 and remains at No. 14 in the USCHO.com poll.

On Feb. 17 the women’s basketball team defeated Saginaw Valley State by a score of 65-54. The Huskies started out slowly but dominated the last three quarters to secure a comfortable victory. Sloane Zenner led the way with 16 points and two blocks. On Feb. 19 the Huskies made the most of their senior day by toppling Wayne State 72-69. Wayne State forced overtime but the Huskies held off the Warriors thanks to clutch scores by Sarah Dax and Alex Rondorf. On Feb. 22 the Cardinals got revenge against Michigan Tech, winning 79-70. The Huskies now stand at 15-10 with a 10-7 record in conference play.

The men’s basketball team continued their reign of terror as they extended their winning steak to nine with victories over Saginaw Valley State and Wayne State. On Feb. 17, the Huskies held off the Cardinals, 77-71, thanks to sharp performances from Trent Bell, Eric Carl, and Owen White. It was a night to remember for Bell who reached the 1,000 point milestone. On a senior day, the Huskies walloped the Warriors, 82-57. Michigan Tech bolted out to a 48-16 lead at the half and never looked back. In a true team effort, every Husky who entered the game scored a bucket while Owen White led the way with a double-double. Michigan Tech is now 19-5 with a 15-3 conference record.

On Feb. 18, women’s tennis fell to Lewis University by a score of 6-1. Nicole Ballach shined for the Huskies with a 6-3,6-2 win in the No. 1 singles and a 6-4 win in No. 1 doubles with Lauren Opalewski. The next day, Michigan Tech lost a 4-3 nail-bitter to Illinois Springfield. Ballach and Opalewski each won their singles matches while Neva Manas completed a three-set comeback to earn the Huskies their third singles victory.  On Feb. 18, men’s tennis lost 5-2 to Lewis University. Nikolia Prosjankyov and Andrew Freel each won their singles matches for the Huskies. The following day, Michigan Tech was defeated 6-1 by Illinois Springfield. Adam Fenjiro dominated the No. 1 singles match with a 6-2,6-1 victory.

This weekend the nordic teams combined to win the NCAA Central Region with the women’s team placing first and the men’s team placing second. On Saturday Nea Katajala won the women’s 5K classic while Henriette Semb took second. The two switched places on Sunday in the 15K mass start skate with Semb taking first overall. Skylar Patten had a productive weekend for the men, earning a third-place finish in Saturday’s 10K classic and a second-place finish in Sunday’s 20K mass start skate.