Football holds onto Miner’s Cup against NMU

University this past Saturday. This win allowed the Huskies to keep the Miner’s Cup for another season. The game ended with junior running back John Williams diving into the end zone from nine yards out to secure the win for the Huskies.

A drive ending on the Wildcats’ 47-yard line left senior punter Ryan VanGoethem to kick the ball to the NMU two-yard line with just under seven minutes of play left in the first quarter.

The first two points of the game came when sophomore defensive lineman Cody Goldsworthy sacked the NMU quarterback in the end zone for a safety. This was the first safety for the Huskies since Brett Gervais put up a two-pointer at Malone in 2014.

The Wildcats recovered a Husky fumble on the free kick which led to the first touchdown giving NMU a 7-2 lead. A 15 play drive ended on a one-yard touchdown run by junior fullback Alex Sherbinow, giving the Huskies their first touchdown of the day.

The return attempt on VanGoethem’s next punt led to a fumble at the 20-yard line that bounced back to the Wildcat 15-yard line. Junior linebacker Derrick Diver recovered the loose ball.

Williams made his way to the end zone in a 10-yard touchdown run with just five minutes left in the second quarter, giving the Huskies a 16-14 lead going into the half.

Williams brought the ball to the three-yard line where Sherbinow pushed the ball across the goal line to bring the score to 28-23 with a Husky lead.

NMU grabbed a 35-yard field goal but the Huskies got the ball back on their own 21-yard line. Junior running back James Henderson ran for a 72-yard touchdown, the longest play from scrimmage for the Tech offense so far this season. A two-point conversion tied the score 31-31.

An eight play drive set up a seven-yard touchdown run by Cowie. Junior kicker Josh King successfully kicked to bring the score tied again at 38-38.

Special teams boasted a big play when freshman defensive back Glacier Wallington blocked the NMU punt. Senior running back Kevin Miller brought the ball to the end zone with just under a minute to go in regulation.

With just 14 seconds to go on fourth and one the Wildcats made it to the end zone to tie the score, leading to overtime. Williams ended the day with a nine-yard touchdown run to secure the victory in overtime.

“We were able to hold them again on a missed field goal and then go get the win on the touchdown. It was a great football game and we were fortunate to win, but when you win seven in a row, somewhere you are doing something right,” head coach Tom Kearly said.

Cowie completed 18 of 26 passes for the day. He rushed nine times for 51 yards, a touchdown and a two-point conversion. Miller and Williams each boasted 80 yards on the ground.

Freshman linebacker Marvin Wright led in tackles with 14. Diver boasted a career high of 12 tackles and two fumble recoveries. As a team the Huskies posted a season high for points, total yards and rushing yards.

Three players on the Michigan Tech football team earned spots on the CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team. Defensive lineman Evan Mayer, punter Ryan VanGoethem and wide receiver David Walter were all recognized for their hard work both on and off the field. The Academic All-America teams will be announced Nov. 28-Dec. 1.

The Huskies come home on Saturday, Nov. 12 to take on the University of Findlay in the final game of the 2016 season. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. and the seniors will be honored on the field.