Sports report

The Huskies football team won on Saturday, obliterating Northwood 34-0. The Huskies were at their best in the second half when Jared Smith and Kyle Wood tacked on rushing touchdowns. In the fourth quarter, the defense capped off a dominant day when Michael Bates Jr. picked off a pass and ran it back 100 yards for the touchdown. The Huskies are now 5-4 overall and 4-2 in conference play.

The Michigan Tech hockey team split their opening conference series against Lake Superior State. On Friday night the Huskies outshot the Lakers 44-21 but lost in overtime, 3-2. On Saturday the Huskies got revenge, winning 2-0. Trenton Bliss and Colin Swoyer scored for Michigan Tech while Blake Pietila stopped all 20 shots he faced. Michigan Tech currently stands at 4-3 overall with a 1-1 conference record.

The Huskies volleyball team improved to 20-5 overall with a 12-1 conference record. On Friday, the Huskies swept Northwood winning 25-19, 25-23, and 25-13. The Huskies followed up their Northwood triumph with a spectacular Senior Day performance, the Huskies won all three sets against Lake Superior State by at least 12 points. Megan Utlak served Tech to 12 straight points in the second set while Anna Jonynas tacked on 11 kills. The Huskies currently rank No. 21 in the AVCA coaches poll.

On Friday, the Huskies soccer team used a productive first half to blast Purdue Northwest, 3-1. Julia Pietila scored in the third minute, while Grace Shaw added a header in the 36th minute. Two minutes later, Stephanie Yeager put in a penalty kick for good measure. Michigan Tech lost 2-0 to Northern Michigan the next day. Michigan Tech finished regular season play 12-6 and 9-5 in the conference, locking up the No. 4 seed in the GLIAC tournament. 

The Michigan Tech men’s cross country team earned an at-large spot in the Division II National Cross Country Championship after taking fourth place in the Midwest Regionals. Clayton Sayen was the first to finish for the Huskies with an 11th place finish. The men’s team currently ranks No. 17 in the nation. The women’s cross country team ended their season with a 13th place finish. Michelle Bollini was the top finisher for the Huskies and took 41st place. Sam Kurkowki, Anabel Needham, Chole Starch, and Ingrid Halverson closed out Michigan Tech’s scoring.

On Wednesday night the Michigan Tech men’s basketball team stunned Ball State in the exhibition play, winning 70-69. The Division I school’s ferocious second-half comeback came up just short, as the Cardinals were unable to recover from the 15 3-pointers made by Michigan Tech. The women’s basketball team won their own exhibition game, topping the UW-Oshkosh Titans 71-67. Ellie Mackay racked up 28 points, while Katelyn Meister came off the bench to add 10 of her own.