Upcoming events in science and technology at Michigan Tech

Husky wearing glasses with the time Husky Bites are: every Monday at 6 p.m.

As campus comes alive again with classes, student orgs, and enterprise teams back in full swing, Michigan Tech events have come back too. With both virtual and in-person events being available, there is an event for everyone, from art exhibits to resume workshops. Here are some of the many upcoming lectures, workshops, and seminars in science and technology available to our Tech community.

Following Michigan Tech hockey coach Joe Shawhan’s lecture on hockey in the Copper Country, Husky Bites will see two additional lectures for the remainder of the month. Hosted by the College of Engineering and led by series host Dean Janet Callahan, Husky Bites are a series of interactive web seminars held weekly on Mondays at 6 p.m., with new topics and faculty hosts each week. The Husky Bites team encourages participants to arrive early for some casual conversation beforehand, and to stay after for a Q&A.

First from Husky Bites on Sept. 20 is a virtual lecture from Professor John Gierke and co-host Professor Eric Seagren. Dr. Gierke is a professor of Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences, while Dr. Segren is a professor within the Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering department. The lecture will cover the unique challenges that arise from drilling wells in the Keweenaw. Registration for the event can be found here.

The final Husky Bites lecture of the month comes from Dr. Theresa M. Ahlborn, a professor of Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences, alongside co-hosts Michael Prast and Emma Beachy, both alumni of Michigan Tech. The lecture will cover the unique history and scientific design of the award-winning Portage Lake Bridge, also known as the Lift Bridge. You can register for the event here.

Outside of Husky Bites, a multitude of seminars can be found from the many different departments here at Michigan Tech. On Sept. 16, make your way to the Great Lakes Research Center or arrive via Zoom to North Carolina State University’s Professor Joel Ducoste’s talk on elevated landfill temperatures. On Sept. 17, Dr. Xiaochu Ding of the chemistry department brings his seminar of polymeric biomaterials to the Minerals and Materials Building. Dr. Chi-Wang Shu of Brown University will deliver lectures in mathematics on both Sept. 23 and 24 in Fisher Hall.

These events are just some of what the campus has to offer. To find more lectures in your favorite scientific fields, events pertaining to your hobbies or interests, or just to find something to fill all that spare time you have, check out the MTU Events Calendar.