Bookworm Books and Coffee closes this week

After serving the Houghton community for 17 years, Bookworm Books and Coffee is closing its doors later this week. Their Facebook page first announced their closing on March 16, stating the building has been sold. They stated, “It has been a joy serving and getting to know all our wonderful customers, and you will all be missed. It was a hard decision to make, but we are going to be moving the Bookworm out of the area.” Locals have expressed their sadness but understand the situation. 

In the absence of Bookworm Books, there are a few options in the area for buying or checking out books. North Wind Books at Finlandia University in Hancock has a collection of local books amongst their campus merchandise. Houghton has a Goodwill store that sells some books, but the shop is catered more towards general merchandise and clothing. It’s the same story for Walmart, which does have a book/magazine section in its back. Of course, the Portage Lake District Library is open under its restrictions for people to check out books. In addition, the J. Robert Van Pelt and John and Ruanne Opie Library allows for the public to also check out books. 

Throughout the week, the store will have sales for most of its books and gifts. All used books will be 50% off, while new books and gifts will be 10% off. Books and gifts with pink stickers are 25% off, and some select items will be marked between 25% to 75% off. No refunds or returns will be allowed; all sales will be final for customers.

The last day to visit will be April 10 this week. As of April 7, there are no known plans for another local bookstore café.

One Response