Brown named GLIAC player of the week

HOUGHTON, Mich. – Jessica Brown of the Michigan Tech women’s tennis team was named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Week, announced by the conference office Tuesday. Brown helped guide the Huskies to a pair of key GLIAC wins over Ashland and Wayne State this past weekend.

Brown, a freshman from Midland, Michigan, was undefeated in both singles and doubles over the weekend. Brown played in the No. 2 singles spot, cruising to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Brianna Brdicka of Ashland Saturday and followed that up with another crucial singles victory Sunday against Wayne State. Brown slipped past Laura Cazacu in three sets, winning the first set 7-6 with an 8-6 tiebreaker. Cazacu battled back to take set two 6-4, but Brown regrouped to pull away in set three 6-2.

Brown teamed up with sophomore Ivona Gorgioski in No. 1 singles on both days and secured wins in each of the doubles matches. The Tech duo topped Gabriella Hudec and Anna Hart of Ashland 6-3 on Saturday and then rolled to a 6-1 win over Linda Liong and Cazacu of Wayne State on Sunday. Brown had a hand in producing two of the Huskies’ four points in Sunday’s triumph over the Warriors.

Brown is 3-0 in singles during dual matches to start the year and 6-1 overall with four ITA singles contests included in the numbers. Brown is also a perfect 3-0 in doubles competition so far in 2018.

Brown and the Huskies will be back on the court this weekend when they travel to Saginaw Valley State and Northwood for two more GLIAC contests. The first serve on Saturday against the Cardinals is slated for 10 a.m.