Your weekly soccer roundup

This week players returned back to their respective domestic leagues after the international break. In the Premier League, Manchester City walked one step closer to becoming the champions of England after they cruised past Everton in a 1-3 victory with a magical and inspirational performance from Leroy Sane, Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling. Meanwhile, there was a tug-of-war over second place where Liverpool overcame a stubborn Crystal Palace in a 1-2 victory. Likewise, Manchester United displayed fluent attacking play with Romelu Lukaku joining the 100 goal club as the 5th youngest player to achieve this incredible feat. His teammate Alexis Sanchez scored his second goal for the club ending a 10-game goal drought. This was a memorable weekend for Tottenham as they finally managed to break their 48 year old hoodo of going winless at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea when they came from behind to beat Chelsea FC 1-3 who rather looked uncomfortable and dismayed in their own parish. P. Aubameyang and Lacazette helped Arsenal register three goals against the relegation threatened side Stoke City. It was probably a week to forget for Alan Pardew who was shown the ax by West Brom after failing to pull the club out of the relegation zone.

While the Premier League continues to amaze everyone, the world has its eyes glued to the showdown for the trophy. That’s right, it was Real Madrid who dominated and won a much deserved and important away game at the Turin against Juventus 0-3, with goals flying from the man-in-form Cristiano Ronaldo and Marcelo. Things went from bad to worse for Juve when Paulo Dybala was shown red for a harsh challenge on Dani Carvajal. In the other match between Sevilla and FC Bayern, Bayern grabbed an important victory by beating Sevilla 2-1 thus gaining advantage of away goals heading into the home tie.

There’s a lot to look ahead for next week, it’ll be exciting to see if Manchester City can make history by beating their city rivals Manchester United at Etihad Stadium to win the title with six games to spare, or if Jose Mourinho will put another masterpiece to make the citizens wait. Whatever happens, rest assured it’s going to be another exciting week of soccer.