Local artists showcase their work in Houghton High School

This past Saturday, Nov. 11 the Houghton High School hosted an event called the Art Affair. Over 40 local artists participated and many people from the surrounding community came as well. Each artist had their own booth to display their work for the locals to purchase. There was a vast variety of different wares produced by the artists. There was pottery, honey, books, paintings, children’s toys, wooden tables, jewelry and more. It was impossible to find something that didn’t catch your eye.

It was a successful event that promoted supporting the local artists in our area. If you missed out on this event, there are many more coming up that supports our local artists and businesses.

On Saturday, Nov. 18 there is an Old Fashioned Christmas Bazaar from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the CLK Gym in Calumet. There will be hot apple cider, Christmas cookies, and lots of local handmade items for sale.

The 20 Annual Home for the Holidays Gift Mart will be held on Saturday, Nov. 25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Rozsa Center. It will feature work from some of the best artists and craftspeople in the area and admission is free.

Also on Saturday, Nov. 25, there will be a local craft and food bazaar at Lake Linden. It will be held in the St. Joseph Church from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be over 30 vendors and everything will be made locally. Items for sale will range from food to crafts and anything in-between.

The Holiday Hoopla will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 6 from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Continental Fire Company. Admission is free but there is a $30 suggested donation since all proceeds will go to benefit the Baraga-Houghton-Keweenaw Community Action Agency. There will also be a silent auction to help fund the High School Skilled Trades Scholarship Program. Along with the Silent auction, there will be appetizers and a cash bar.

On Saturday, Dec. 9 the Old Fashioned Christmas in Chassell holiday event will be held. The holiday handcrafts bazaar at the Chassell school will run from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Other than that, there will be a breakfast and lunch from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m., free coffee, and pastries will be given out at the Keweenaw Kountry Store from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Mr. and Mrs. Clause will make an appearance at 11 a.m. in the Chassell Heritage Center.

It’s important to support your local artists and business, and these events provide a great way to get out and explore some of the amazing work others can do. It’s easy to find one of a kind items for your loved ones just in time for the holidays at any of these craft and art shows.