Falcons fly away from Tech

The 20th ranked Huskies (4-5-2, 2-4-2 WCHA) came out on the short end of the hockey stick this past weekend against the Bowling Green State Falcons (4-3-2, 3-1-2 WCHA) as they lost Friday night 2-1, and tied Saturday 2-2, but the Falcons won the shootout for the extra WCHA point.
On Friday, Nov. 3, senior goaltender Devin Kero got his first start of the year in net for the Huskies. The Falcons received a penalty at the 5:31 mark for interference. Husky sophomore Thomas Beretta found the back of the net on the powerplay for the first goal of the weekend, assisted by Freshman Justin Misiak and Senior Dane Birks. Freshman Greyson Reitmeier received a penalty for hooking at the 11:14 mark, and the Falcons capitalized with 30 seconds left on the powerplay to tie it up at 1-1, which concluded the first period.
The second period didn’t have very much action until Husky freshman Seamus Donohue received a penalty for holding at the 15:56 mark. The Falcons got the puck past Kero on the powerplay at 17:49 for the game-winning goal. The third period produced no goals as the Falcons went on to the 2-1 victory over the Huskies.

BGSU outshot the Huskies 28-22, Kero saved 26 shots on net. The Huskies were one for six on the powerplay, and had five penalties for ten minutes in the penalty box.

On Saturday, Nov. 4, the Falcons received a penalty for tripping at the 13:10 mark. Almost 40 seconds later, transfer Sophomore Keegan Ford found the back of the net for his first goal in a Husky uniform, assisted by Birks. However, Kero received a penalty at the 19:03 mark for a delay of game, which the Falcons made him pay for, as they tied the game up with 17 seconds left in the first period.
Husky sophomore Gavin Gould received a five-minute major at the 11:51 mark of the second period for elbowing. Just about 20 seconds into the penalty the Falcons beat Kero to take the 2-1 lead, with almost four and a half minutes left on the penalty kill for the Huskies. Fortunately, the rest of the penalty kill went with no issues for the Huskies. The end of the second period ended in favor of BGSU 2-1.

The third period didn’t produce very much action until Gould made up for the five-minute penalty by finding the back of the net to tie up the game at the 14:56 mark, assisted by sophomore Mitch Reinke and senior Mark Auk. About two and a half minutes later the Falcons received a penalty for holding, putting the Huskies at a five-on-four-man advantage. Unfortunately, nothing could come of it as the third period came to an end tied at 2.
Both overtimes saw the Huskies come close, but they couldn’t get the puck past the Falcon goaltender, which resulted in a shootout for the extra WCHA point. Again junior Jake Lucchini, Reinke, Auk, Beretta, and Misiak all couldn’t get the puck past the Falcon goaltender, as the Falcons sniped the puck past Kero for the shootout victory over the Huskies.

The Huskies outshot the Falcons 29-26, Kero once again looked good in net for the Huskies as he made 24 saves on the night. Tech had six penalties for 15 minutes in the penalty box, and went one for five on the power play.

The Huskies take on their arch-rival the twentieth-ranked Northern Michigan Wildcats (5-3, 3-1 WCHA) at the Mac on Friday at 7:07pm, and down in Marquette on Saturday at 7:00pm. The Wildcats are coming off of a split at home with tenth ranked Minnesota State, as the Mavericks won Friday night 3-0, but the Wildcats got the best of the Mavericks 4-1 Saturday. This Friday night will be Military Appreciation Weekend and so the Huskies will be wearing special camouflage uniforms. Biggby Coffee will be having a special promotion at the game.