Hockey splits with Alabama-Huntsville

The fifteenth ranked Huskies hockey team (4-2-1, 2-1-1 WCHA) entertained the Alabama-Huntsville Chargers (1-3, 1-1 WCHA) in the season home opener this past weekend. The Huskies won the game Friday night by a score of 5-4, while the Chargers avenged the loss by defeating the Huskies Saturday 4-2, for their first ever win against Tech.

On Friday, Oct. 20, the Chargers received a penalty for boarding just 25 seconds into the game. A minute and a half into the penalty, Husky Dane Birks found the back of the net, assisted by Keegan Ford and Greyson Reitmeier. Five minutes later the Chargers tied it up at one, which was the score after the first period.
The second period produced much more excitement, as the Huskies Mitch Reinke found the back of the net nine minutes into the period, assisted by Raymond Brice. Two minutes later Huntsville received a penalty for holding.

Joel L’Esperance would capitalize with two seconds remaining on the powerplay to make it 3-1 MTU, assisted by Reinke and Jake Lucchini. The Chargers would capitalize 30 seconds on the powerplay to make it 3-2 MTU. It felt like déjà vu, as the Chargers would tie the game at three each, a minute into another power play. The second period would come to a close tied at three.

In the third period, the Huskies saw themselves go down 3-4 as Huntsville would beat Packy Munson on the powerplay. About two minutes later the Huskies went on the powerplay, which Justin Misiak took advantage of to tie the game at four apiece, assisted by Mark Auk and Lucchini. With five minutes left Lucchini banked a shot for the game winner, assisted by L’Esperance and Gavin Gould.
“I give them [Alabama Huntsville] total credit for the way they battled tonight,” Tech head coach Joe Shawhan said. “They’re well coached and came after us hard. I feel fortunate to come out of that with a win. Every point is important for us, and we’re still trying to grow as a team and trying to get better every night.”
Munson finished the night with 24 saves, while the Huskies outshot the Chargers 38-28. The Tech powerplay went 3-8, while the Huskies had four penalties for eight minutes in the penalty box.

On Saturday, Oct. 21, Freshman goaltender Robbie Beydoun was granted his first career start in net for the Huskies. Five minutes into the game the Huskies Thomas Beretta banked in a shot in front of the net to go up 1-0, assisted by Alex Gillies and Alex Smith. The Chargers tied it up five minutes later on the powerplay. Munson finished the game in net for the Huskies, after the goal. Huntsville would take the 2-1 advantage with four minutes left in the first.
Tech went on the power play with nine minutes left in the second. Huntsville stole the puck, and went on the breakaway and next thing Munson knew, the puck was trickling into the net for a short-handed goal. Huntsville led 3-1 to finish the second.

All the action in the third started with three minutes to go. Gould stole the puck from the Chargers and went on the breakaway with Brent Baltus by his side. A simple pass from Gould to Baltus in front of the net had the goalie right where the Huskies wanted him, as Baltus passed back to Gould to score on the wide-open net, to make it 3-2 UAH.

Munson came off of the ice so the Huskies could have an extra attacker. Unfortunately, they couldn’t keep Huntsville away from the puck, as the Chargers would get the puck back and score on the open net making it 4-2, resulting in Huntsville’s first ever win over the Huskies.

“Special teams were the difference in the game tonight,” Shawhan said. “Again, I give full credit to Huntsville. They’re competing hard all game long, and we have to take that same mentality.”

Beydoun had one save before being taken off the ice, while Munson had 15 on the night. The Huskies majorly outshot the Chargers for the second straight night 43-20, while Tech had three penalties for six minutes in the box. However, Tech went 0-8 on the powerplay.

“We have a lot of work to do to get ready for arguably the best team in the country,” Shawhan said. “Mankato is loaded in every aspect of the game and especially on their home ice.”

The Huskies will be back on the road next weekend, as they travel to Mankato, Minn. to take on the fourteenth ranked Minnesota State-Mankato Mavericks (3-2, 1-1 WCHA). The puck drops at 8:07 p.m. Friday and Saturday night. The Mavericks split at Bowling Green this past weekend to open their WCHA schedule.