Sitcoms over the years

Sitcoms have always been a part of our lives and with time, they have evolved, or have they? Let’s have a look at a few sitcoms which managed to attract eyeballs with some inputs from me.

When we talk about sitcoms, the first show which comes to my mind is F.R.I.E.N.D.S. This show, which ended way back in 2004, is still running in a few countries and deservedly has a cult status. We loved Chandler’s one-liners, Ross and Joey finding themselves in trouble, Phoebe with her street-smart wit, Monica’s obsession over cleanliness and Rachel’s eighteen-page letter (front and back). More importantly, there are so many life lessons which we can learn from them. This show has to be one of my favorites and I still enjoy their official page’s posts on social media. So, F.R.I.E.N.D.S gets a nine on ten from me.

If you enjoyed F.R.I.E.N.D.S, chances are that you’ll enjoy How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM). Barney Stinson is my favorite character in the show. “Challenge accepted”, “bro code”, “suit up” and “playbook” are some of the quotes which revolutionized the youth conversation styles. Though the finale of the series wasn’t what I expected, this series still gets a healthy eight point five out of ten from me as there were so many moments in the show which are there to stay with us.

The next sitcom in consideration is The Big Bang Theory (BBT). If laughter quotient is considered, this has to be one of the most hilarious series ever made. The writing and the apt use of science makes this show innovative. Though Sheldon Cooper is the character most of us end up liking, other characters too are amusing. Howard and Raj with their creepy and funny ideas, Penny trying to use Leonard and Sheldon’s free wi-fi, Bernadette with her sudden anger and Amy trying to socialize with Sheldon, all make a place in our hearts. The scientific facts used in the show are very well researched and hence as a student, you end up enjoying it even more. So, BBT gets a nine on ten from me. It currently is in its eleventh season and let’s hope it continues for a few years more!

If the discussion is about sitcoms, it would be unfair to not consider Seinfeld. This is my favorite sitcom and I rate the writing of this show very highly. Every episode, you feel as if you’ve experienced it at some point in your life and looking at it with a funnier pair of spectacles is humorous. All the characters – George, Kramer, Elaine and Jerry Seinfeld himself are extremely likable. My favorite though, is George and I rate him as one of the funniest characters in the history of television. “The Soup Nazi,” “The Parking Garage,” “The Yada Yada” and “The Chinese Restaurant” (the list goes on and on) are some of my picks from the series. Again, this is one show which still is running in few countries and this tells us the kind of appreciation it receives even after almost thirty years since its inception. Seinfeld gets a nine point five on ten from me.

There are many other interesting shows which might tickle your funny bone. Some of which I would like to recommend are – Two and a Half Men, Modern Family and That 70s show. The advent of apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. is the best thing to happen in the entertainment industry as reliving a few funny moments is possible now.

In conclusion, yes sitcoms have evolved, and we’ve got different kinds of comedy elements in different sitcoms, but I still believe that the best of the lot are still the ones from the nineties!