Keweenaw through the lens

Michigan’s Copper Country, the Keweenaw Peninsula is one place where nature transcends itself into a Utopia for aspiring photographers. The name Keweenaw comes from the word ‘Objibwa’ or meaning ‘to portage’. Here’s a treat for the lenses, as the NWC has arranged a photo contest for the film-philic greenhorns. This contest is for all non-professional photographers willing to post their photos taken from October 2016 through September 2017.

The submitted photos can be of the entire year encompassing the change undergone throughout the four seasons. Michigan Tech students constitute the majority of contestants in the activities organized by the Keweenaw Adventures. The international students, in particular, are amazed by the variation of seasons throughout the year: the beauty of fall as all the trees transform from their bright green plumage to blood red panache, then as the winter approaches the trees shed and are bare in the heavy snow while spring rolls around accompanied with light and infrequent showers. The hills depict the grandeur of shades they possess in juxtaposed with the brilliant blue skies above. With numerous inland lakes known for their specialties of walleye, perch, brook and brown trout to the scenic drives up the Quincy Mine, this place is anchorage for budding photographers and adventurers.

The late September to mid-October is the perfect time to capture one of the rarest natural phenomenon: the Aurora Borealis.

Thousands of photos are submitted each year showcasing places such as waterfalls and hiking trails. “This place is dream come true for people like me! There are so many locations with maple trees all around and so many many lakes! I have been waiting for a contest to post my photos in’’ says Aditya Shinde, a graduate student at Michigan Tech. “My favorite locations include the Brockway Mountain for its sunset, the Haven waterfall for it’s the perfect place for macro-photography and of course Lake Superior!”

Kalpesh Kuber, another international student spoke about the various photos already submitted, “Yeah, I have seen a lot of great snaps on the site. It’s really fun going on the tours. Makes me appreciate the life around us from a different perspective altogether. We get to see the entire UP in all the seasons through these amazing photos!” Along with these two contestants, a lot more have already participated in this event and are hopeful about winning the prizes.

The competition is open to all age groups. The photos will be accepted if submitted to the NWC from August 14, 2017, through September 30, 2017, and must be captured in the Keweenaw Peninsula, or from the sister cities of Houghton and Hancock lying on the sides of the Portage Canal and the rest of the UP. A variety of exciting prizes will be awarded to the winners. Participants must submit their photos according to the dimensions specified on the website. For more information about the guidelines and parameters, take a look at the www.northwoodsconservatory.org 2017 photo contest page or contact them by calling 906-370-9022.