Fresh, local food

Even within the smaller communities of the Upper Peninsula, there are many who come together in order to be part of local farmer’s market traditions throughout the summer and early autumn months. Though one may not expect it, there is a flourishing tradition of fresh, organic food production within the UP, centered around Farmer’s Markets, local co-ops and even community and individual home gardens, such as the Pewabic Street Community Garden where plots of land are available for rent to interested community members during the growing season.

When asked about local farming, Jennifer (Gerdy) Rife, who works in the Produce Department at Keweenaw Co-op, brimmed with passion as she discussed local contributions to the community’s food sourcing options. Sharing her passion for her job, she began, “I like being around organic, fresh, ethically produced food.” When asked to elaborate on that passion, she explained, “You don’t have to be a big corporation to survive and to thrive,” encouraging people to learn about where the food they eat comes from and to support local farmers. “You can do it locally, you can do it small, and [you can] keep your ethics and standards high.” Summarily, she said, “When you’re…purchasing ethically treated produce, you realize it is thriving, and it can feed the world. And it is the world.”

There are several ways to get involved in the local food revolution. The Downtown Houghton Farmer’s Market is held on Tuesdays from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and is located on the Corner of Huron and Lake Shore Drive, near the Portage Lake District Library and Suomi Restaurant. Farmer’s Markets are also held in Hancock, Calumet and Lake Linden on Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Each market holds a different variety of goods to browse, locals to talk to and other entertainment. Plus, they’re all in different parts of the Keweenaw, so it’s a great opportunity to go out and visit somewhere new.

The markets are a source of pride and enjoyment for many members of the community, who are delighted to enjoy fresh, organic, locally-grown produce and who are inspired by the growers who make the markets possible. In addition to fresh food, however, the markets include tents featuring other local goods such as crafts, art and clothing, and are inclusive of many different types of local businesses. It’s a great way to bring the community together and in order to learn more about community Farmer’s Markets and other events, visit http://www.keweenaw.info/events/16/1261/. The Downtown Houghton Farmer’s Market has its last sale on Oct. 18th, so be sure to make the most of the season!