When you crave something more

Are you sick of dorm food? Does the thought of having chicken for the tenth time this week make you cringe on the inside? Does the overflowing grease of the pizza just not hold the same appeal anymore? The constant cycle of the same meals can become overwhelming quickly. Fret no more over the dining halls’ deranged attempts at new food.

I bring to you a recipe created by the intellect of a broke and hungry high schooler. It is relatively cheap to produce in bulk and easily modifiable to fit anyone’s tastes. This is done by starting with just a simple base. In this case, egg noodles!

Ingredient list for noodles: two cups all-purpose flour, one pinch salt, two eggs, a half cup milk, one tablespoon butter and dried or fresh basil. Next on the list, buy a white sauce from the store.

If your budget has some muscles to flex, buy a discount steak. In a bowl, stir together the flour, salt and basil. In another bowl beat the eggs with the milk and butter, then add to the flour. Knead dough until smooth.

Let rest in a covered bowl for 10 minutes. If you have a steak, cut it into small cubes and then store back in the fridge. Otherwise you can pretend to do homework or check out this week’s Sudoku puzzle. Once you have coated a flat surface with flour, you have two options.

First you may just roll the dough into a log, less than a centimeter thick and cut desired lengths. The other is to get a rolling pin like object, or your roommates textbook, and flatten the dough out to desired thickness and cut out strips or whatever shapes your fancy. Allow pasta to dry for a bit before cooking.

Warning, this pasta cooks fast and expands a lot. While cooking the pasta, warm up the sauce in another pot and get a frying pan warmed up and coated in butter to cook the beef cubes. Everything will cook relatively quickly. If you want to use these noodles with another recipe in mind, just remove the basil. With the internet you have a plethora of other recipes to grab from.

To improve the experience, share your result. Invite some friends to watch some March Madness or play a board game. Help everyone take some stress of their minds and their stomachs. There aren’t many college students who don’t appreciate free food.