Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

USG recommends to increase student activity fee for fall semester of 2025

The Michigan Tech Undergraduate Student Government (USG) passed a student activity fee increase, funding for the Sailing Club,  swore in new executive board members and swore in new representatives at its Mar. 27 meeting.

The fee hike, the most debated topic, will raise the cost from $60 to $80 per semester starting Fall 2025. The measure passed 19-0-1, with some expressing concerns about affordability. Now, USG will present their recommendation to the Board of Trustees and the University President who will decide if the payment will increase.

“We understand the financial impact,” said USG Treasurer Emily Ruf. “But the current fee can’t keep up with rising costs for student groups.”

The fee supports Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) through equipment purchases, events, and conferences. The decision follows a year-long review by a USG ad-hoc committee tasked with evaluating the Student Activity Fee (SAF). The committee, led by Ruf, found that the current fee was insufficient to maintain the level of support RSOs have come to expect.

While the fee increase passed, some students expressed concerns about the financial burden it may place on certain demographics. In response, USG officials emphasized that the new fee will not take effect until Fall 2025, giving current students time to adjust their budgets.

Additionally, several new members were sworn in to take on roles within the USG. Ben Conlin was officially sworn in as the new USG President, taking on the leadership position. Newly elected representatives were also welcomed into their respective roles, including Owen Gorter for the 2nd Year Rep position, Matthew Staats for 3rd Year Rep, Connor Zavislak and Brendan Leddy for 4th Year Reps, Madison Mattila for College of Business Rep, Elise Buzzell and David Reeves for College of Computing Reps, Ethan Sommer, Mason Krause, and Ben Swenson for College of Engineering Reps, Wren Schmalz for CFRES Rep, and Maggie Denney for College of Sciences and Arts Rep. These individuals were acknowledged and sworn in during the meeting to begin their terms within the USG.

The Ways and Means Committee  also recommended that the Sailing Club be allocated  $17,950 from the Reserve Fund for the purchase of three used sailboats. The club, which cited the aging condition of its current fleet, argued that the new boats would be a cost-effective way to continue their activities. The recommendation will be voted upon next week by the USG body.

The meeting wrapped up a busy year for USG. The organization will officially transition leadership at its next meeting.