Vandalism in Hillside

Two instances of vandalism have been reported in Hillside Place. Two ceiling tiles were broken, and a button in the elevator was smashed in. These both took place within ten days of each other, on Mar. 8 and Mar. 18 respectively. 

The Hillside and McNair Residence Education Coordinator, Noah Baliat, has sent an email to the residents, reminding them that their actions have moral consequences, saying “When incidents like this take place, it requires our facilities staff hours to clean and repair damages… Our facilities staff work hard to ensure the facility you live in is clean and supports your goals as a student here.” Baliat also mentioned the financial consequences for everyone around them, “[A]ny costs associated with vandalism which REHS [Residence Education and Housing Services] is unable to attribute to a responsible party may be collected equally from all members of surrounding communities at the end of the academic year.” 

Baliat finished his message to the residents by saying, “If you have any relevant information related to any of the listed incidents, please reach out to me via email.” If you know anything, Baliat can be reached at nbaliat@mtu.edu. If you witness vandalism, you can report it in real time by scanning this QR code.