Giving back to the Houghton county community

There are many places to volunteer within the vicinity of Michigan Tech. Students who might need volunteer hours for a student organization or who are interested in giving back to the community can find opportunities that are fun and rewarding. 

Students looking for quick and fun ways to volunteer around the community can head to Copper Country Humane Society (CCHS) for opportunities to interact with cats and dogs. The CCHS is a local non-profit organization located in Nara Nature Park dedicated to humanely caring for cats and dogs who are waiting to be adopted into their forever homes. When open, community members can walk in and request to walk a dog. These pups can be taken for a walk around the Nara trail system. The staff will give you instructions based on each dog and you’ll be able to give your companion some treats as well. Students and groups can also sign up to pet cats in the cat room from the CCHS website. The CCHS also accepts donations for supplies like dog and cat food. Other volunteering opportunities are available upon request such as cleaning various areas and raking leaves. Visit www.cchumanesociety.com/ways-to-help/ for cat cuddling sign-up, dog-walking hours, and other information.

Students can also become involved with Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly. This local non-profit organization assists elderly citizens around the area with services like food, clothing, socialization, and firewood. According to their website, “We are providing friendship and services throughout five counties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.” A great way for organizations to get involved is to set up a time to chop and stack firewood. They are also in need of decorated bags and baked goods for Easter. Visit houghton.littlebrothers.org/ for more information.

There are many other ways to volunteer with the school such as ushering for Rosza events. Students have the opportunity to volunteer individually and with groups in greeter, theater door usher, seating guide, and floating usher positions. Visit www.mtu.edu/rozsa/support/volunteer/ to learn more about their available volunteer opportunities.